Now that Skylanders has reached its third iteration it can be difficult to find out what toys work with which game. To help you understand what works with what game, here is a helpful guide detailing all of the types of toy and their compatibility.
Skylanders Standard Information:
- ALL Skylanders work on all consoles regardless of what platform it was originally purchased for and is NOT locked to a specific console.
- ALL Skylanders work with Skylanders Universe (online).
- ALL the characters from the old games WORK with the new games and their level will NOT be capped even though it was from an older generation.
- Skylanders can be one (or two if a Swap Force Character) of eight elements: Magic, Life, Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Tech and Undead.
- The Starter Packs comes with ALL you require in order to play the game (excluding the Skylanders Giants Portal Owners Pack)
- You can unlock ALL the Achievements/Trophies without purchasing any additional content.
Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure
- Is the first game in the series and the toys have GREEN Bases.
- All characters and sidekicks work with ALL the games.
- Has four Adventure Packs and nine Magic Items which work with ALL the games.
- It is NOT compatible with the Battle Packs.
- It is NOT compatible with future Adventure Packs, Items or New Skylanders.
- Is the second game in the series and the toys have ORANGE Bases.
- Giant Skylanders ONLY work with Skylanders Giants and Skylanders Swap Force and have Giant only content in both games.
- The new characters that début in Skylanders Giants will NOT work with Spyro’s Adventure.
- The new Lightcore Skylanders WORK with Giants and Swap Force and ONLY the reposed characters from Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure can WORK with the previous game but will NOT have the added light effects from Skylanders Giants in game.
- Any alternative versions of characters with new colours that feature in Giants will NOT work with Spyro’s Adventure.
- Series 2 characters work with ALL the games.
Skylanders: SWAP Force
- Is the third game in the series and the toys have BLUE Bases.
- The Swap Force and the characters that début in Skylanders Swap Force are ONLY compatible with Skylanders: SWAP Force.
- Swap Force characters have their own ‘Swap Zones’ which can ONLY be opened with a specific bottom half which are: Climb, Speed, Spin, Rocket, Bounce, Teleport, Sneak and Dig.
- ALL characters from the previous games WORK with Skylanders Swap Force.
- The Battle and Adventure Packs from Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure and Skylanders Giants will NOT unlock bonus content. They ONLY work as Magic Items.
- The new Lightcore Skylanders ONLY work with Skylanders Swap Force and ONLY the reposed characters from Skylanders Giants can WORK with Skylanders Giants and reposed characters from Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure can WORK with the previous game but will NOT have the added light effects from Skylanders Swap Force in game.
- ALL Series 2 Skylanders work with Giants and ONLY characters that début in Giants will NOT work in Spyro’s Adventure.
- Series 3 Characters work with ALL the games.
Additional information about Series 2 and 3 figures
- Series 2 and 3 figures have an extra abilities at the end of their skill trees called “WOW-POW” and you can also change your Skylander’s upgrade path without having to erase all your characters data.
- Only Series 2 and 3 Blue Base figures will unlock Heroic Challenges in Skylanders Swap Force which are used for additional performance upgrades and experience boosting accolades can only be unlocked with BLUE Base characters.
This post will be updated with new information periodically as new information is released.